McAlester Criminal Defense Attorneys
McAlester Criminal Lawyers Fight for Your Constitutional Rights
The Oklahoma criminal justice system can be intimidating, as law enforcement officers and prosecutors often make you believe that you’re automatically guilty of the crime they accuse you of committing.
In reality, you have constitutional rights – but it is up to you to enforce your rights. The experienced criminal defense lawyers at Edwards & Patterson Law are ready to help you stand up for your rights. One of our skilled McAlester criminal defense attorneys can help address charges against you.
At Edwards & Patterson Law, our dedicated criminal lawyers serve individuals throughout Oklahoma and Arkansas, helping defend against misdemeanor, DUI cases, a criminal offense or felony charges. We believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Our goal is to keep you totally informed so that you can make the best decisions possible regarding your next steps.
A Legal Team on Your Side to Help Fight Criminal Charges
If you’ve been arrested for any type of crime, it’s important to take seriously your right to remain silent until you have spoken with an attorney. Police officers and prosecutors will often try to interject before you have an opportunity to do so, in an effort to persuade you to give away key evidence or admit to committing a crime.
A knowledgeable lawyer from our firm will give you the guidance you need to fully protect your constitutional rights and give you the best chance at success as we fight the charges against you.
Our team assists with both felony and misdemeanor charges, including the following:
- Drug offenses: We defend you when facing charges of drug possession, possession with intent to sell, distribution, trafficking and a variety of other offenses. A key issue is whether or not law enforcement officers violated your rights when searching your property and making the arrest.
- Drunk driving (DUI): In Oklahoma, the penalties for a first-time conviction of driving under the influence (DUI) could result in jail time, large fines and the suspension of your driver’s license. Subsequent convictions yield even greater penalties.
- White collar crimes: Our attorneys have years of experience handling charges like fraud, embezzlement, forgery, identity theft and tax evasion. In many cases, these issues come down to misunderstandings between employees or business partners.
- Violent crimes: If you’re accused of committing a violent crime, you may feel as if the entire legal system is stacked against you. We provide helpful guidance for charges of domestic violence, assault and battery, robbery and various other criminal offenses.
- Federal charges: Many white collar crimes are charged at the federal level, which means there are some serious consequences if you’re convicted. In addition, you may face federal charges if accused of crimes against children, a weapons crime or an immigration-related offense.
How Can a McAlester, OK Criminal Defense Lawyer Help?
Simply because the police and prosecutors accuse you a crime does not mean that you will be found guilty on the charges. In fact, the U.S. Constitution says that you must be considered innocent until proven guilty. That means the burden is on the state to prove you’re guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You do not have a burden to prove that you are innocent.
Depending on the facts in your situation, there may be a number of defenses that your criminal defense attorney may raise. For example, the criminal defense lawyers at Edwards & Patterson Law may pursue cite problems with the prosecution’s case such as:
- Evidence that supports your lack of guilt
- Constitutional problems with the arrest
- Improper search and seizure
- Lack of a proper search warrant
- Failure to properly administer Miranda warnings (not being “read your rights”)
- Problems with the evidence against you
- Unavailable witnesses
- Unreliable witnesses
These are just a few examples of defenses that may be available in your case. A successful argument based on factors like these could result in charges being dropped or reduced. If the case does go to trial, it could result in a not guilty verdict.
If the state’s case against you seems strong, our attorneys may still be able to secure a better outcome for you by entering plea bargain negotiations with the prosecution. We may also pursue more lenient sentencing or sentencing alternatives such as community service or probation.
In some cases, your criminal defense attorney may be able to appear at court hearings for you, limiting the amount of time you have to spend in the judicial system. If you are being held in jail, your attorney may be able to arrange for your release pending trial.
What Can I Do If Criminal Charges Have Been Filed?
Remain silent and ask for a lawyer. That is the best advice if you have been arrested and charged with a crime in McAlester or elsewhere in Oklahoma or Arkansas. Contact the attorneys at Edwards & Patterson Law as soon as possible.
Even though you may be eager to clear your name and the police may seem like they’re trying to help, you could say something that could be taken out of context and harm your case. You should cooperate with the police (do not resist arrest, for example), but you should invoke your right to remain silent until you can get advice from an attorney at Edwards & Patterson Law.
How Long Can Criminal Law Cases Take To Litigate?
Criminal cases could be resolved relatively quickly if, for example, there is clear evidence that you are not guilty or there are obvious problems with your arrest. If a case must proceed through hearings and to trial, it could take significantly longer. In the most serious cases, it could take months or even years to reach a resolution.
At Edwards & Patterson Law, our criminal defense lawyers have the same goals as you. We want to resolve your case as soon as possible with the most favorable results. We will seek to minimize the time you must spend in jail awaiting trial and handle as much of the proceedings as possible without you having to appear in court.
Facing Criminal Charges in Oklahoma? Get Help from Our McAlester Defense Firm Now
The criminal defense attorneys at Edwards & Patterson Law in McAlester are prepared to fight for your rights if you have been charged with a crime. Get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can review your situation and discuss your best legal options. We don’t charge anything for the consultation.
We care! We fight! We win! That’s more than just a slogan at Edwards & Patterson Law. Those simple words sum up our law firm’s mission and everything we do for our clients who are facing criminal charges. Talk to us now for free to find out how we can help you protect your future, your finances, your reputation and your freedom.
What Our Clients Are Saying
“Both of these men are of the highest moral character. They can be depended upon.”– Gene W.